Prior to joining the firm Jim served in the Office of General Counsel-Secretary of the Air Force/Pentagon. His practice focuses on Energy & Natural Resources and Oil & Gas Law. He was named 2016 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year Oil & Gas Tulsa and 2020 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year Energy Law Tulsa. He also has an individual AV rating through Martindale-Hubbell and was selected a Best Lawyer in America in Energy Law and Oil & Gas Law. Further he has been named an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in Energy & Natural Resources Law, as well as ranked in Band 3 for Energy & Natural Resources Law by Chambers USA. Jim is a Senior Member of the firm's Board of Directors.
Jim has represented numerous clients in the purchase as well as the sale of oil and gas properties, gas gathering and processing assets, gas marketing assets, gas pipeline assets and crude oil and liquids refining, pipeline and marketing assets. These transactions have ranged in size from several million dollars to several hundred million dollars. Representative transactions in which he has served as lead counsel include:
- The purchase from the Lithuanian Government of an ownership interest in and operating rights with respect to, AB Mazeikiu Nafta, the Lithuanian Government-owned refining, marketing, pipeline and terminal business in Lithuania. The subsequent sale of all of these interests acquired from the Lithuanian Government to OAO Yukos Oil Company, a major Russian oil company.
- Several sales and one acquisition of oil and gas producing properties located in Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado. These transactions ranged in size from $20+million to $400 million.
- The purchase of gas gathering and processing assets in Oklahoma for in excess of $24 million.
- The purchase of gas gathering and processing assets in New Mexico from a major oil company for in excess of $50 million, and the negotiation of various ancillary agreements regarding continued business with that oil company.
- The purchase of gas gathering and processing assets in Kansas from a Kansas utility and the negotiation of various ancillary agreements regarding continued business arrangements with that utility.
Jim’s primary areas of practice include:
- Acquisition and disposition of oil and gas producing properties, gas pipelines and processing facilities, including the drafting and negotiation of definitive agreements, the design and implementation of due diligence investigation procedures and advice and assistance in structuring transactions.
- Gas and Liquids Contract Matters, including the preparation, review and negotiation of gas purchase and gas sales agreements (including related financial hedging agreements), as well as gas transportation and gas processing agreements, and interpretation and advice regarding such agreements. Clients include gas producers, gas gathering and processing companies, pipelines companies (both interstate, intrastate and hinshaw pipelines), gas marketing companies and consumers.
- State and Federal Regulatory Matters, including interstate pipeline regulation at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (including rate regulation and certificate matters on behalf of interstate pipelines as well as customers of interstate pipelines), intrastate pipeline regulation at the FERC pursuant to § 311 of the Natural Gas Policy Act of 1978 (including rate regulation on behalf of intrastate pipelines as well as customers of intrastate pipelines), representation before state public service commissions regarding pipeline and utility rates, advice and assistance regarding the application of federal and state law and regulation to gas gathering systems and gas pipeline systems (including avoiding or minimizing the impact of such laws and regulations).
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1977)
- Tulane University (B.A. in Political Science, 1974)
- Oklahoma, 1980
- 2016 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Oil & Gas - Tulsa
- 1980 - Present Hall Estill
- 1977 - 1980 Office of General Counsel - Secretary of the Air Force/Pentagon
- Captain, U.S. Air Force - 1977-1980
- Member, Board of Directors, Youth for Christ
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Federal Energy Bar Association