Kelly Politte focuses her practice primarily in the area of federal and state tax matters, specializing in IRS and state tax controversies, assisting clients throughout the country. Within her practice she represents individual and corporate taxpayers, and accounting professionals, through all facets of of civil and criminal tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Justice and local taxing authorities.
Kelly handles a variety of tax issues, including audit navigation, audit reconsideration, innocent spouse requests, penalty abatement, employment tax and trust fund recovery penalty cases, collections, offers in compromise, installment agreements, tax lien discharge and subordination certificates, non-filers and voluntary disclosures, offshore tax matters, claims for refund, and U.S. Tax Court and district court litigation and appeals.
Examples of Kelly's work tax include:
- Fought IRS to successful release of tax levies and stopping collection efforts
- Negotiated affordable payment plans with the IRS and Colorado Department of Revenue for unpaid income taxes for clients who did not file tax returns for up to 10 years
- Negotiated a settlement saving a client $322,000 allowing client to pay only $3,000 to the IRS
- A client received a letter from the IRS after an audit, increasing his tax liability by $515,000 for the two years audited. After filing a petition with the U.S. Tax Court, Kelly was able to negotiate a settlement of the case for less than $75,000.
In addition to her tax practice, Kelly also assists clients in the areas of Trusts & Estate Litigation, Estate Planning and Corporate Services. Within this area of her practice, she regularly prepares and reviews wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and advanced medical directives. She has also handled business law matters, including choice of legal entity, regulatory compliance, contract drafting and transactions, and business disputes and litigation.
Kelly is fluent in French. In 2018, she was named a Rising Star in Tax law by Super Lawyers and has been named a Super Lawyer in Tax law since 2020.
- University of California, San Diego (B.S. in Psychology, 2004)
- University of San Diego (M.B.A. in Marketing, 2005)
- University of Denver - Daniels College of Business (M.B.A. in Accounting and Finance, 2008)
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2008)
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, 2009)
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Colorado Supreme Court
- 2021-Present Hall Estill
- 2014-2021 Politte Law Offices, LLC
- 2012-2014 Joseph H. Thibodeau, P.C.
- 2008-2012 Anderson & Jahde, P.C.
- Member, Colorado Bar Association; Tax Section; Business Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association; Tax Section; Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Member, Colorado Women's Bar Association
- Member, Greater Denver Tax Council Association
- Volunteer Attorney, Colorado Lawyers for Colorado Veterans
- Member, Junior League of Denver
- Member, Business and Professional Women of Cherry Creek
- Tutor, Reading Partners
- Presenter, "Representing Clients in IRS Audits: Best Practices"
- Presenter, "Federal Tax Update"
- Presenter, "Advanced Tools for Representing Clients in IRS Audits"
- Presenter, "2013 Federal Tax Update"
- Presenter, "Ethics Refresher for Circular 230 Practitioners"
- United States Air Force Academy
- Fluent in French