Ray Penny focuses his practice in the litigation arena. Prior to attending law school, he served as a Captain in the United States Marine Corps and was deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2011 as the Fire Support Coordinator for an Infantry Battalion.
Ray served as Deputy Director of the Gang and Organized Crime Prosecution Unit in the Tulsa County District Attorney's Office before starting with Hall Estill. Because of his work at the DA's office, in August 2019, Ray was awarded the Region II Prosecutor of the Year award by the Association of Oklahoma Narcotics Enforcers.
An avid outdoorsman, Ray has developed a niche practice in the areas of wildlife and conservation law. Within this arena Ray assists clients with permitting and licensing, as well as defending those who have violated wildlife laws in the United States.
Ray has been named a Rising Star in Environmental Litigation by Super Lawyers. In December 2021, while staying on in an Of Counsel role with the firm, Ray became the President & CEO of The Great American Decoy Company.
During law school he served as director for Board of Advocates, served on the Admissions Committee and graduated Order of Barristers.
Ray is fluent in Spanish.
University of Tulsa College of Law
- Order of Barristers
- President, TU Chapter of The Federalist Society
- Director for Board of Advocates
- Oklahoma State University (B.A. in Philosophy, 2005)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- 2019-Present Hall Estill
- 2016-2019 Tulsa County District Attorney's Office
- Wildlife and Conservation Law
- United States Marines Corps, Artillery Officer, Captain (2008-2014)
- Member, Board of Directors, Bishop Kelley High School
- Member, Board of Directors, Tulsa Lawyers Chapter, Federalist Society
- Fluent in Spanish