John has 40 years of experience representing businesses and executives in commercial litigation. He has successfully tried numerous cases to juries and to courts. He also has extensive experience in officer and director litigation, auditor and actuary professional negligence cases and cases involving constitutional rights.
In addition, John has served as lead counsel in insurance coverage disputes involving his business clients and serves as general counsel to the Oklahoma Receiver in several insurance company liquidations. John has also provided representation to the Oklahoma Property & Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association. He serves as an Adjunct Settlement Judge for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma's alternative dispute resolution program.
John has a demonstrated record of successfully resolving commercial disputes through mediation.
John's commercial litigation experience complements his corporate and business law practice. Specifically, he provides counsel in all aspects of Corporate and Business Law, including Mergers & Acquisitions, Structured Finance, Entity Formation and Governance, Business Succession Planning, and Executive Employment Agreements to corporate clients, financial institutions and executives.
John has held an AV peer review rating since 1995 through Martindale-Hubbell and has regularly been recognized as an Oklahoma Super Lawyer (Business Litigation and Corporate/Business Law) and a Best Lawyer in America. Further, he was one of ten attorneys who were selected by the Editorial Board of the Tulsa Business Journal to be recognized among Tulsa's 2012 Power Attorneys.
- University of Tulsa College of Law (J.D., 1980)
- Oklahoma State University (B.A. in Political Science, 1977)
- Oklahoma, 1981
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. Tax Court
- 2018-Present Hall Estill
- 1983-2018 Newton, O'Connor, Turner & Ketchum
- Member, American Bar Association, Committee on Corporate Counsel
- Member, Oklahoma Bar Association
- Member, Tulsa County Bar Association
- Adjunct Settlement Judge for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Member, Board of Trustees, Oklahoma State University-Tulsa
- Member, City of Tulsa Ethics Advisory Committee
- Member, Agency Performance and Accountability Commission, Oklahoma State Senate
- Foundation Chairman, Rotary International District 6110